Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Memory Tie Quilt by Renay


My friend Renay Martin consulted with me as she started planning this quilt, as I'd made a memory quilt with ties (for a friend, shown in my book Making Memories). She took it from there and look at what she has created. It's in memory of a longtime friend, a professional mentor for her husband, a gentleman who did wear a tie almost every day (weekends too - Renay would tease him that he must have a tie for mowing the lawn). 56 of his ties were used to create this 35" x 45" quilt. 

Renay wove them together, then hand stitched them in place. She backed it with silk. Labels from the tie backs were included too. On the back is a stitched verse bound by tie scraps. It goes home tomorrow. Way to go, Renay.

The label reads: Les & Louise
Two lives forever woven together with the silk threads of love.....

 

10 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique memory piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda in Australia :-)April 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM

    What a beautiful way to use old/new ties to remember a special person. I've been looking for a way to use my husband's old/unused ties because they are too beautiful to just throw out. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recycling idea. Warm wishes, Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found the quilt picture through Pinterest! What a great project! Congratulations to your friend Renay, and thanks to you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, i have 100s of ties that belonged to my late Father, he also wore a tie most days, i might just try making a memory quilt......
    Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a clever idea! Now that my husband is almost retired I can make one of this for him - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ThankYou SEW much for this wonderful Memory piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read that Renay has a pattern for this available for sale. Where can I purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any special prep for the ties?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbi: you can email Renay at Pursestringspatterns@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete