Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pine Burr Style Rug



Eagle-eyed Maggie Bonanomi spotted this rug at market.


It was in an antique booth - Cindy's Antique Quilts of Clinton, OK. Cindy was kind enough to let me photograph it.

It's made in a reverse kind of pine-burr style - it is worked from the outside to the center. The final raw edges in the center are covered with some piecing. Cindy thought it dated to the 1920s, although some of the fabrics are older than that. You can see from the detail that some wonderful quirky fabrics were used - shirtings, plaids, clarets, indigos ... you name it. It is in pristine, gorgeous condition. I didn't measure it but I'd guess it is about 2' x 4'.







The back is original. It's rough burlap with black stitching showing through.







Cindy is online at www.cindysantiquequilts.com.

Someone should buy this!! Someone who loves pine burrs!!

9 comments:

  1. I missed it.... and I looked at a lot of antique quilts.... It looks gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gorgeous!
    Burlap is such a great idea for the back. Easy to sew through and it has tendency to warm up. In India, burlap is used to make rugs. My mom made some and I helped when I was little. Two squares of burlap, padded with another piece of burlap and sewn with a big eye needle jute twine. Good old memories! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! That is incredible. I've never seen anything like this before. So unique and inspiring. I want to make one now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that is fabulous! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fantastic. I've been experimenting with some Pine Burr blocks too. Maybe a rug will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all - Cindy of Cindy's Antique Quilts reports that the rug sold at the end of market. We'll all just have to try our hand at making one, inspired by that masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amish people make rugs like that. Called shoe cleaners?

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.craftpassion.com/2009/09/rag-rug-grannys-style.html
    is like this, but tidyer....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - Never seen anything like it! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete