Saturday, August 17, 2013

Early Modern


I found this at garage sale this morning. What a treat for us! The quilt measures 68'' x 89'' complete with 63 hand-pieced improvised blocks for us to examine. That could take a while, so let's start now. Most of the blocks measure 7" square- some around the edges are smaller ...

The blocks are old. The fabrics date to the turn of the last century, more proof that improvised quilts are nothing new or modern. Neither is the use of white for a background. White setting strips are what make this quilt possible - they adjust for variations in the block sizes.

     
Indigos were plentiful around 1900.

Some of the fabrics have deteriorated in this block, but isn't the intense piecing in the left middle amazing.

This block comes close to being uniform - but check out those tiny corners.
And now for the price - 


I didn't even unfold it, i just bought it. If you'd like to see this quilt in person, I'll have it along when I speak to my guild, the Kaw Valley Quilters Guild, Monday evening and Tuesday morning. The evening meeting begins at 7, the morning at 930. Both are at Plymouth Congregational Church in downtown Lawrence, Kansas, where the 150th anniversary of Quantrill's Raid is being remembered this weekend.

15 comments:

  1. What a great find! Wish I could be there to see it and hear,you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, lovely! Obviously, you are right about improv and white not being only modern. Seems to me in all forms of there will always be people who think outside the box and just do what they like and to heck with conventional ways. Would love to see the back. And was it not quilted, just pieced?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCORE!!! it's so fun, I love it! ;-) I ]'ll give ya $10 for it. ;-) just kidding. Hope your well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beauty, Deb. And for the five dollars-well, I'm glad you were there to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beauty (interesting) and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! great quilt. wish I could come hear your talk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, what a find! And what a price! I guess Deb is usually in the right place at the right time!
    And I DO get to see Deb's program this coming Tuesday morning.
    Can't wait!
    Rosie M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jodi asks a good question. it is tied. The back is the same fabric as the sashing and is brought to the front to be the outer border. The quilt historian will see it tomorrow - we'll see what she says. It is all hand stitched, even the sashing - there is machine stitching on the final border ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great find! Are all the blocks loosely started with a center square/rectangle? Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! What is on the back? It appears to be tied...any 'fill'? I wonder if the blocks were assembled later with the plain white sash?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heard Deb at 7pm last night...great fun talk!!! FABULOUS QUILTS TO SEE ....COULD NOT CHOOSE A FAVORITE BUT THIS ONE IS UNBELIEVABLY FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I could study each block. I found something like this in west Texas last year. I love old fabrics.

    ReplyDelete