Thursday, June 11, 2015

Farewell, Linda Brannock


A sewing idol of mine has passed away. Word arrived that Linda Brannock died on May 20. She was 76.

Linda was part of the talented team that produced so many wonderful Red Wagon books back in the 1980s. I collected them all and dreamed of making fanciful designs like theirs.

I jumped at the chance to work with her several years ago when she agreed to publish her final book with the Kansas City Star. "Miss Jump's Farewell" was the result. It was such an exciting project for me as I got to visit Linda in her home and studio in Independence, Missouri and also be involved in a photo shoot there. And I got to know kind, fun Linda as we worked together on her book.

She leaves behind a devoted husband Robert. They had a dog Sugar that they both adored - I hope she survives to keep Bob company.

Here is Linda's own story about her work:

“This all started when I wanted a quilt. In 1974, there were not many for sale and not any that I could afford. So I knew I would have to make one. Finally, I found a class and began this great journey.
“I started teaching in 1980, to a group of friends in my basement. After practicing on friends, I taught at eight different places and traveled 200 miles a week.
“I created patterns for local businesses: Quilt Country, then Evening Star Farm, Red Wagon and now for Quilter’s Station. I have loved the last 27 years – many joys and stresses. I've enjoyed traveling, teaching, attending quilt markets all over the U.S., and designing fabric for Moda.
“I started my own pattern business, the Star Quilt Company, in 1993 and loved it for 10 years.
“What am I going to do now? PLAY…”
I admired the small quilt above - it was in LInda's studio - and she gave it to me. The square measure about 1 1/2" - the total quilt is 13" x 14". It's tied in the middle of each square with embroidery floss. The back is shown below ...

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift and memory to have from her.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sad news. I have almost all her Red Wagon pattern books and even one quilt top 3/4 done. I love her style

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear of Linda's death. I had all of the Brannock and Patek books when I started quilting in the 80s. It's hard to believe that we're starting to lose the pioneers of the current quilt revival. Quilt on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb,
    I could not find her "Coffin Quilt" after she died. I located it this past weekend; I'm so relieved! While thumbing through all Mom's books (since you've been in her studio, you know how many I'm talking about), I came across "Making Memories." Thank you for inscribing it to Mother. The book is now in my collection.
    Karmen Sunshine
    (Linda's daughter)

    ReplyDelete