Monday, December 19, 2016

Comfort


I just finished this comfort quilt for a young friend - one of my daughter's best friends. Her mom died a few months ago - way too quickly and way too young. I showed her daughter photos of Passage Quilts made by Sherri Lynn Wood and offered to make a quilt in that style for her.

A few day's later, I had a bag filled with some of her mom Peggy's clothes. The light blue is a soft bathrobe. There were many soft jersey t-shirts, a gold party dress, several beautiful silky dresses and even a sweater. I commenced with the cutting and stripping pieces together. I backed some of the silkier pieces with knit interfacing but found enough stability in the rest of the fabrics to piece them as they were. I included a few details - the robe pocket, belt loop, some labels ...

The quilt is backed with a soft gray flannel. It's 43" x 72", a size you can fold around your shoulders, take a nap with and lay at the foot of your bed. Machine quilting it was surprisingly easy. It is the softiest, cuddliest quilt I think I have ever made. Just perfect for it's purpose - comfort.

3 comments:

  1. I can't think of a better gift for a grieving daughter. She is so fortunate that she can wrap herself in her mother's soft clothing for the rest of her life. I lost my mother at a young age too, and know what a comfort this quilt could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I felt really fortunate I could make it for her. Your memory quilts inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly lovely and a treasure for her forever.

    ReplyDelete