Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Faded Flower Pots

My mom inherited this quilt from my grandmother. I would expect that someone in her family made it but it is unsigned and undated. I don't think Grandma would have kept it otherwise, she wasn't very attached to handmade things.

The quilt measures 72" x 91" - each block measures 13" x 14".

Notice the applique was stitched on by machine. It's machine quilted too. I checked Barbara's Encyclopedia of Applique, this block is named English Flower Garden (McKim), English Garden (Capper's Weekly); and Old English Flower Garden (Kansas City Star).

I suspect the quilt was washed with bleach, speeding the facing of this well-used quilt. Peeking inside the seams shows the sashing was once green. I would love to have seen the quilt before it was so faded.....

Happy Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Deb, at the V&A last summer we saw a whole quilt (maybe even more than one) where various shapes were english paper pieced together (by hand) and then appliqued / sewn to the background by topstitching with the machine. one was done complete with black thread ... despite the color of the applique - it was stunning!

    ReplyDelete