Thursday, July 24, 2014

A very scrappy Flower Garden


You know how it is, when people find out you make quilts, they bring one to show you. This is our friend Cheryl in Yankton, South Dakota who showed me a quilt I knew you would love to see too!

It's probably the happiest, scrappiest Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt ever. It has fabrics dating to the 1930s (lots of feedsack fabric) - there could be some '50s fabrics too. I always like to imagine quilts like this being a handwork project for a long time. Cheryl acquired this top from an aunt who bought it in Salina, Kansas.

It has been well cared for and is in great shape. It is large - there was a label on the back with a size of 101" x 80". Seems like it was hand pieced. My advice when i see a quilt like this is if you love it and want to use it, go ahead and have it quilted. Sometimes machine quilting is a real help in holding older quilts like this one together. Enjoy it and love it! And thanks to Cheryl for sharing it!


5 comments:

  1. Yippee! Fabulous quilt. Almost make me want to get into hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild but I see order within! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advise from durability standpoint. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a scrappy, happy quilt! Quilting the top sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well ya know I love it!!! Yes, quilt it up!!!

    ReplyDelete