Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I met Gee's Bend descendants

A little more from market - we stayed for the very last schoolhouse presentation of the day to hear two Gee's Bend descendants talk about their lives and their new project.

Loretta Bennett (left) and Louisiana Bendolph were both born in 1960 in Gee's Bend. Louisiana recalled watching school busses go by as she stayed behind to pick cotton as a child. Today they both still live in Alabama, but away from Gee's Bend. They've created Gee's Bend inspired quilts that will be kitted by Windham Fabrics. A portion of the profits will be shared with the Gee's Bend Quilters Collective.




I liked this bright design by Louisiana.

2 comments:

  1. I love your post on Gee's Bend women. I loved their grandmother's quilts, and I do theirs also. They must have so many stories and I really love these true stories. They need to be recorded and shared! I remember just a few of these types of injustices and my heart still breaks for what they had to live through. LOVE their contributions to the quilt world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Gee's Bend Quilt show the day it opened in San Francisco at the de Young Museum. It really was something I'll never forget!

    ReplyDelete