Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My new Trip Around the World quilt

You know I'm a sucker for a bargain. So when I found this quilt on my recent trip to the Wichita antique mall and price tag said $35, I sighed and knew it was going home with me.

I have no regrets! I love it. It's condition is good and the fabrics are 1930s lively. It's a fun one to look at on the dining room wall. The light sections especially are quite scrappy, with many fabrics of the same value worked into the rows. The maker used her scrap bag well and didn't shy away from using plaids and stripes going every which way.

It's hand pieced and hand quilted, bound with red bias. It was assembled in blocks - slightly different reds in the corners of the middle block helped me see that. And I do note a few machine stitched seams where the blocks came together. It measures 70" x 70", the blocks are 23-24" square. Individual pieces are 1 1/4" square.



There are a lot of names for this classic pattern in the Encyclopedia and I like them all: Mosaic Block, Squares Around the World, Postage Stamp, A Trip Around the World, Sunshine and Shadow, Grandma's Dream and Sun and Shadow.

12 comments:

  1. I love it! Grandma's Dream is my favorite name. You do seem to find the best bargains. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that it was a steal! I want to come and shop in your neighborhood!
    Love the stripes going every which way. It has inspired me to try something new today! Oh no... Too many quilts in the making.. in my head and on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For $35 it just had to go home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! $35!!?!?!? Heck yes it needed to go home with you! Love this one! I've got an American Jane pattern earmarked that looks very similar to this one...such fun color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on another great find! I love all the plaids and stripes going every which way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, that would have gone home with me too. lucky you! I love these kind of quilts... one block glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the design of this quilt and what a fun collection of scraps the maker used in this piece.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful find- it appears many of us would have taken it home for that price.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this. It sounds like you found quite a bargain. It's a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, too! Which Wichita area antique mall do you shop at?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are too lucky, what a steal at $35. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete