Friday, November 26, 2010

Things People Say

My weekend project
Many of you can probably identify with this. People say doubting things to me all the time about how I work.

I am not making this up, I have heard:

"Don't encourage her."

A shrieked, "Oh no, you're not going there (while I was checking the fabric store trashcan for scraps after a class)." (I calmly told ShriekerA that a number of somewhat famous authors I've worked with confess to doing that...)

"What are you going to make with THAT?"

And perhaps my favorite, shrieked while I showed an old quilt with knots tied on top: "Didn't they know the RULES?"

I am thankful for all of you, for being there and understanding and supporting my unconventional ways of working.........Happy belated Thanksgiving!

15 comments:

  1. Well, I'm going to encourage you -- I get other people's scraps and bits they're going to through out. keep on -- you're on a great path!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the shrieking and yelling is due after the second hour in a thrift shop...

    Happy Thanksgiving Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I love how you work! You inspire me with your scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to know what the 'rules ' are. 10spi I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for giving permission, not that I really needed it.. but fun to see someone else breaking the rules.. sorry we have not had a chance to get to know each other better, I get a real giggle from what you are creating.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at your old quilts, it seems that the "rule" was to break with convention, make something unique and original. That's why I love them, and your work, so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo....
    My most frequently received comment is "how sweet" - aaargh - I wouldn't mind a shriek every now and then:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last time I watched a friend go thru workshop trash, she complained that we were cutting our scraps too small!

    Best is Gwen Marston. She insists all scraps go on floor, and are open for use by anyone in class. What's left at end of workshop, goes home with her, and becomes a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. touche! and thanks, I knew you would all understand this........

    ReplyDelete
  10. I consider the floor under that machine to just be a fabric lab- otherwise how would I learn important things like that purple stripes set off aqua dots?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too have gone through others trash at quilt retreats to save scraps they deem too small for use. One of my favorite books has the question, how small is too small to keep a scrap of fabric? The answer if you can sew another piece of fabric to it, then it can be used. Plus, all you have to do is go look at the fantastic crumb quilts that Bonnie Hunter has on her site to see that even the tiny scraps can sparkle.

    ReplyDelete