Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thrifty with thread

I got some sewing notions at an estate sale a few weeks ago. Some of the thread I found reminded me of spools Mom had when I was little. She saved every bit of thread, winding different threads onto spools and bobbins like this.









I found a few other bits of thread that takes this to a whole new level of thrift. Next is a rolled up bit of paper with thread wrapped around it, stored safely inside a plastic tube.


The next ones take the cake! Yes, that is a broken toothpick saving a bit of thread. Along with it is a tiny rolled scrap of fabric with thread wound around it. Some might find this disturbing but I find it very sweet! Ah, thrift!


10 comments:

  1. LOVE! I wish that we were as thrifty today...
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother was like that too. Anything she had underhand that was small was good enough to wind thread around it. Waste not, want not. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet. Grandmas old sewing basket is my favorite thing to find at estate sales, especially when all of her treasures are still in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious! I hate to admit how much thread I've wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's touching to see the thriftiness of days gone by. Reminds me of the family in The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. Their mother sewed to try to make ends meet and was always so thrifty with her thread, even when it broke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This kind of thrift makes me think she was a child of the Depression. Sweet, and sad, too, and yet I don't think there was a lot of whining in those days. My Aunt Betty saved the waxed paper from inside cereal boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! great post..I have old spools like this too from my husband's grandmother...the humble ways to save thread and I do it myself. There is a certain satisfaction using that last bit be it for basting an applique or sewing on a button. I love adding an empty wooden spool to my display basket or tossing the plastic ones in the garbage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My great granny and grandma did this and other similar things. They knew what it was like to be without. They both taught me to sew, embroider, quilt, etc...
    Such thrift most now do not know. Thanks for posting the pics. Brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was young I remember my Mom and aunts always saving the thread whenever they had to hem a dress. After it was measured and pinned, the same thread was used to re-sew the hem. Never had a problem matching colors!

    ReplyDelete

  10. Keep up the good work and thank you again

    ReplyDelete