Friday, November 12, 2010

By popular demand


Keiko quilt detail.
I've been helping Barbara teach a class on improvised quilts this year. We met last night and I showed the group a slide show of improvised quilts on display at market in Houston. A class member asked me to post a picture of Keiko Goke's spectacular My Double Wedding Ring quilt so she could look at it again and again. On the quilt label, Keiko explained that she began quilting using traditional patterns. She turned to contemporary quiltmaking and then found herself recreating traditional patterns, but without patterns and on this grand scale.

Kathe goes for it with one of grandma's blocks.

 We've all been a little surprised, I think at the fun we've had in this class, challenging each other to try new ways of thinking about quilting. We've tried several sewing projects. Last night we took quilt blocks and cut them apart then put them back together in an improvised fashion. Here are some of our starts.


It was fascinating to see castoff blocks now making new shapes. I have blocks we found in my grandmother's estate. We'd never seen her sewing them but I recognize some of the '70s fabrics. I'm going to start slashing!

6 comments:

  1. Deb..thanks so much for posting this. It is even more stunning now that I see it on my computer. Maybe it will become my new screen saver???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt has been like music to my ears! And you know why.. I love the fact that she has used traditional pattern with contemporary approach!

    I love the idea of "Block Salad"
    I had to stick that in there.. Sorry, couldn't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you suggested it, Denniele! See - Sujata IS in our class, in spirit, for sure (Barbara said that the other night)...Block Salad, wow. Another perfect name. You are so good at that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb,

    I wish I was in your classes in person! It would be so much fun playing with fabric confetti!
    Where and when can I see more pictures of your experiments?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this post. I think you (and Barbara) have quite the knack for improvising. The quilts look great!

    ReplyDelete