Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Arkansas Squares


 This is one of the more fragile quilt tops in my collection. I rarely take it along to show groups as it still has the newspaper foundation on the back (it's fragile and deteriorating). I found dates - 1927 and 1929, a fragment that says The Arkansas Farmer too. My friend Nancy Wakefield once offered good advice - photocopy or scan the newspaper back to save it. So here's a scan, below.



A little more about it - I found it in Little Rock, Arkansas. It is hand pieced and obviously never used. It measures 67" x 55".  If this quilt could talk, I would love to hear it's story.....



9 comments:

  1. It's awesome to comtemplate someone sitting and stitching those small odd bits and pieces together. You wonder if she was done for the day or maybe waiting for the potatoes to boil. I'm curious about what is fragile? I have many fabrics from that period of time that are strong or stronger than our new stuff. Maybe it's the paper that is fragile, and I can see how the ink could damage the fibers of the fabric. It's a wonderful top!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is dandy - you have quite the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful and whimsical, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb,
    What a beautiful quilt! I love the colors in it.
    Interesting to see a definite pattern in the center of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beauty! You do have a way of finding them. So inspiring. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this...it is like planned or controlled chaos which I can handle. Thanks for sharing. Are you waiting on the snow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful quilt! I always get excited to see antique quilts, as they are imposible to be seen in my country, Spain. Thanks to books, blogs and peaple like you!

    ReplyDelete