Saturday, May 10, 2014

Thank you Kathy Sullivan


Kathy Sullivan is a quilt collector extraordinaire. We met to stitch together last week and she passed this quilt on to me, knowing I would love love it. And of course, I do.

There are many good things to report about it. First, it is signed (with several names) and dated (March, 1944). Second, it is finished! I find so many impulsive tops that were never finished. It is backed with coarse muslin Central Star feedsacks from Fort Wayne, Indiana with no batting. The red binding is stitched on with a running stitch. It measures 90" x 74".

Kathy found the quilt at a flea market in northern Kentucky. I'm showing it now because Mom and Mother are embroidered on it. There are more incredible details - I'll show those next.

Happy Mother's Day. Thank you, Kathy Sullivan!


5 comments:

  1. Omgosh this quilt is incredible. What a generous friend. I hope you'll take even more photos to share. The fabrics are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! That running stitch on the binding is amazing...what patience. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a treasure. She certainly gave that quilt to the right person. Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!!! Perfect gift for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a treat. I love how it's humble cottons rather than velvet and silk with all that embroidery.

    ReplyDelete