Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Very Big Rug


We recently stayed in a cabin in La Veta, Colorado for a week. There are endearing things all over the cabin like little notes about where to leave the trash in town, where to hike, how to fix certain things….

The living room is dominated by this big handmade rug. It is similar to the toothbrush rugs I make, but this one is crocheted and is very thick. It is circular and measures about 7’ across.

When we arrived, we noticed a big stain on the rug. Looks like someone spilled a cup of coffee on it. I decided our cabin improvement project would be removing the stain.


We hauled it out onto the wood deck, a great place to clean a rug in the summer. First we shook it. Then I got some detergent and scrubbed the stains. Then we took water and doused the entire rug to freshen it up and remove the soap..

Being so large – and in a canyon with limited sunlight - it took several days to dry.


I’m checking with the family to see if they know who made this spectacular rug. It makes the living room very homey and comfortable.

8 comments:

  1. I've been making round rugs from scrappy strips sewn together for several years now. There is a bit of a learning curve to keep them from curling as you go around and around.
    The one you've 'helped' is truly awesome! I generally stop mine at about "throw" rug size, in the neighborhood of 36" to 42" inches across. It is already difficult to hold the rug and keep crocheting at that size. I can't imagine what that rugs maker went through to make one that large. It's a beauty for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift to the cabin. And what a fantastic rug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it truly is spectacular---makes me want to go start another one RIGHT NOW---what a beauty---and you guys are great to clean it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. having lived in Colorado, looks like someone's snowed in project! Long winters lead to epic crafting. Since you currently make tooth brush rugs, and everyone I know who makes them hasn't in a long while, can you comment on getting the rugs to lay flat? Is this something that works itself out as the rug gets larger, or is there a blocking step? Should I worry if the stitch count is correct but the rug has some minor buckling/lack of flatitude? The strips I'm using are not perfectly uniform, but are from 1 to 2 inches wide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To get them to lay flat, you need to have a stitch that is not too tight. That is what makes them curl. A good way to keep them flat is to work on a flat surface, like a table. Once it starts curling, it's hard to block/flatten them. I use 2" wide strips - usually rotary cut because that is faster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great rug!

    Yes, once they are curling while crocheting, there's not much you can do other than start over and loosen up and add more stitches around the curves. Unless maybe if you catch the curl starting within a round or 2, then maybe corrective action can be taken?

    I made a small rug out of nylon(?) cord (the stuff used for plant hangers in the 80's) that I had lying about, and it curved. Since it was my first rug, I had no clue it would not straighten out with use, and I did not redo it. I ended up using it upside down so the floor fixed the curling. I wonder where it went...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When they curl, they make great pet beds!

    ReplyDelete