Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Memory Tie Quilt by Renay


My friend Renay Martin consulted with me as she started planning this quilt, as I'd made a memory quilt with ties (for a friend, shown in my book Making Memories). She took it from there and look at what she has created. It's in memory of a longtime friend, a professional mentor for her husband, a gentleman who did wear a tie almost every day (weekends too - Renay would tease him that he must have a tie for mowing the lawn). 56 of his ties were used to create this 35" x 45" quilt. 

Renay wove them together, then hand stitched them in place. She backed it with silk. Labels from the tie backs were included too. On the back is a stitched verse bound by tie scraps. It goes home tomorrow. Way to go, Renay.

The label reads: Les & Louise
Two lives forever woven together with the silk threads of love.....

 

15 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda in Australia :-)April 8, 2011 at 9:37 PM

    What a beautiful way to use old/new ties to remember a special person. I've been looking for a way to use my husband's old/unused ties because they are too beautiful to just throw out. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recycling idea. Warm wishes, Lynda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found the quilt picture through Pinterest! What a great project! Congratulations to your friend Renay, and thanks to you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, i have 100s of ties that belonged to my late Father, he also wore a tie most days, i might just try making a memory quilt......
    Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a clever idea! Now that my husband is almost retired I can make one of this for him - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read that Renay has a pattern for this available for sale. Where can I purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any special prep for the ties?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbi: you can email Renay at Pursestringspatterns@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Renay, I'd like to have an 18x18" tie pillow made. Would you be willing to make one for me, or do you know of someone who would? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a pattern for this tie quilt?

      Delete
  10. I have most every tie i ever wore and boy are they still beautiful. A way to have put color in my wardrobe. I am 73, retired and this is my winter project. A wall hanging. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if you open and remove the support fabric from the center of the ties and then slip stitch the tie material back together? Can this quilt ever be laundered? How flexible is it if you leave the middles in the ties?

    ReplyDelete