Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rescued Crib Quilt

I often think about how many utilitarian quilts we will never see, as they are were used up (as intended). This one is nearly there. It's faded and many of the fabrics are worn out. The borders are frayed.

I bought this quilt on a road trip through the Midwest a few years ago - somewhere in Indiana, I believe. I think I would pass it up today but I am not sorry I have it. I consider this quilt to be a pattern, a design that would work nicely if it was reproduced.

The squares in the nine-patch blocks measure 3/4" finished. There are10 rows of nine-patches on point. It is hand pieced and hand quilted. The quilt measures 30" x 41".


My favorite part of this quilt is the little string of blocks in the top and bottom borders.

5 comments:

  1. This would inspire me to get any and all the pastels I have in my stash to recreate! A beautiful example of a utilitarian quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, and simple pattern! I'm inspired to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love this one!
    LOVE that border and well nine patches, my favorites to make.
    One I would have rescued too!
    Thanks for sharing
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a fun one to make up...like I need another project? The danger of blogging....

    ReplyDelete
  5. really lovely! Just think of all the sleepy little children this quilt covered. Thank you for rescuing it from (shudder) the cutters.

    ReplyDelete