Saturday, January 2, 2010

A palindrome for quilt #1

I'm going to document my improvised quilts now. These are my favorites.


But first, be apprised that today's date is a palindrome - a number that can be read the same way in either direction. Today is 01-02-2010. Our trusty newspaper reports there will be 12 palindromic days this century. Today is the second: the first was 10-02-2001.

We were introduced to palindromes by a friend who notes when they occur with basketball scores. We watch eagerly for the score to be 48-84! 21-12!! What dimension this adds to watching basketball games.

Now for the quilt. It's small, measuring 25" x 36". Hand pieced and hand quilted, it includes many feedsack fabrics along with what look like clothing scraps. It is a strip pieced version of the simple hourglass block. I enjoy how randomly the fabrics come together, definitely scraps from some quilter's scrapbasket.


My friend Barbara Brackman will teach about this style of quilts in her classes at Prairie Point Quilt Shop in Lenexa this year. Each year she chooses a theme to explore and I'm eager to see what she comes up with for this theme I love so much.

2 comments:

  1. I never heard of a palindrome before. Thank you for pointing that out to me! That one, 01-01-2010, happens to be my birthday and I love how unique a date it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely Deb. I am an English stitcher, who has become quite addicted to scrappy. It has been a pleasure dropping by here during the last year and seeing all these treasures.Best wishes, Happy New Year Kath at railwaycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete